What is the Symposium?
simˈpōzēəm / noun
a conference or meeting to discuss a particular subject.
a collection of essays or papers on a particular subject by a number of contributors.
a drinking party or convivial discussion, especially as held in ancient Greece after a banquet (and notable as the title of a work by Plato).
FlowMotion Symposium is a metropolitan cirque and flow arts education and performance weekend held at a constellation of sites across the city of Bloomington, Indiana.
Note: Early arrivals can register at the Banneker Center at noon. Most other arrivals can check in at registration at the hotel.
Lists & Links
- Learn During two full days of workshops taught by dozens of the best and most devoted educators from around the country
- See Visually compelling art at two showcases, a cirque art gallery show, and nightly music and fire performances with visual effects
- Relax at our Downtown “Flowtel” hotel, with 24-Hour spin jam room and discounted booking rates for up to 6 attendees per room
- Connect with Venues that include: Vendor marketplace, gym space, outdoor fire circle, local bar and restaurant partners and food trucks for all your hospitality and shopping needs
- Explore– Take the Shuttle to help you navigate Bloomington and get you to key venues quickly and efficiently, and experience Downtown Bloomington
- Join us on our mission to create vibrant productions and robust curriculums, cultivate personal exploration and satisfaction by providing a space for meaningful and playful collaborations, and connect the experiences within flow and cirque arts programming to patterns of learning applicable in everyday life.
Please Remember: Flowmotion Symposium is a learning-based community event, NOT a party. All of our venues are smoke-free locations due to Bloomington’s Smoke-Free City Ordinance. Use of illegal drugs or public intoxication are not allowed during any part of Symposium. We support attendees, instructors, and volunteers who value accountability and self-control out of respect for our event and our community.
FlowMotion Symposium is partnering with local Center for Sustainable living to provide LNT services like recycling at our venues – Please help keep our city and venues clean and cared for!
- Your ID. We have many guests and volunteers arriving over the course of the weekend. Registration will need to be able to find you on our list
- Props, toys, and games
- Moneys for the vendor market and to feed and imbibe for the weekend.
- Fuel Donations: If you want to spin fire we ask that you donate a can of white gas to our fuel depot. Coleman and Crown camp fuels are the standard brands sold in our area.
- Cold weather clothes. November can be cold/wet in Indiana! Layers!
- Chairs and Blankets for Late Night Burn Circle. Some chairs and tables are provided
- Electronics: there are charging stations at all venues!
#flowmotion #symposium2017 #flowmosympo
- Early arrivals are welcome to go to the Fell building and jam until classes begin.
- 12:00 P.M. – Early arrivals can register at the Banneker Center. Workshops open!
- 1:00 P.M – Gallery and Vendor Market Open
- 3:00 P.M. – Hotel Check-in
- 3:30 P.M. – Opening Circle
- 7:40 P.M. – Dinner
- 8:15 P.M.- Fire Safety Meeting
- 8:30 P.M. – Open Stage for Fire Performances
- 9:00 P.M. – Burlesque Show
- 9:45-10:00 P.M. – Fire Safety Meeting
- 10:00 P.M. – Fire Circle and Music
- 9:00A.M. – Workshops open
- 12:15 P.M. – Lunch and Discussion
- 5:30 P.M. – Last Workshops
- 6:30 P.M. – Dinner Break
- 8:00 P.M. – Gala Showcase
- 9:45 P.M. – Fire Safety
- 10:00 P.M. – Fire Circle and Music
- 10:00 A.M. – Yoga and Brunch
- 12:00 P.M. – Hotel Checkout
- 12:30 P.M. – Sunday Netflix and Drill
- Closing Circle
Staying in Bloomington: The Flowtel
Guest accommodations for attendees and instructors will be provided by:
501 N. College Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47404
Hotel Check in begins at 3:00 PM EST
FlowMotion Events works alongside the hotel staff to provide safe, comfortable lodging for every visitor. We remind all guests of FlowMotion Symposium that SpringHill Suites has only NON-SMOKING rooms, prohibiting any use of tobacco, marijuana, vaping, dabs, etc. while in the hotel.
Note: There are many AirBnB and local options for lodging within Bloomington.